Milano Calibro 9
Release Date: 16th June 2015
Format: Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD
Starring: Gastone Moschin, Barbara Bouchet, Mario Adorf
Directed by: Fernando Di Leo
Synopsis: “You can’t backstab someone like Ugo Piazza! You’d better not even touch someone like Ugo Piazza!”
Perhaps the one true film noir to emerge from Italy, Milano Calibro 9 is a gritty, ultra-violent masterpiece and an essential entry in the cannon of Italian crime cinema. Centering on the character of ex-con Ugo Piazza (played with stone-cold precision by Gastone Moschin) the film also benefits from the presence of giallo regular Barbara Bouchet and her considerable charms.
Released after a three-year term in prison for a bungled robbery, Ugo Piazza plans to lead the straight life for a while. But no sooner is he back on the street than he’s picked up by a bunch of hoodlums under the employ of his former boss, the ‘Americano’ – among them, the psychopathic Rocco – who are convinced that Ugo stole $300,000 before his incarceration. The gang forces Ugo to resume working for them in the hope that he’ll eventually lead them to their missing cash.
The first part in director Fernando Di Leo’s Milieu Trilogy, Milano Calibro 9 is an early example of the poliziotteschi – Italian crime films –which proliferated in the 1970s. Di Leo eschews the sleazy, more exploitative approach of some his contemporary filmmakers for a more serious take on his subject matter – although he’s not averse to show-stopping gun fights and long, lingering shots of the lovely Barbara Bouchet.
- New High Definition Digital Transfer
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation
- Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- Caliber 9 – a 2004 featurette on the making of the film bringing together interviews with various members of the production team
- Fernando Di Leo: The Genesis of the Genre – a documentary looking at the filmmaker’s career, including an interview with Di Leo himself
- Scerbanenco Noir – a look into the work and history of Giorgio Scerbaneco, author of the original Milano Calibro 9 novel
- An appreciation of Milano Calibro 9 by Matthew Holness, writer and star of cult series Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Reinhard Kleist
Cat No: FCD929
Subtitles: English, English SDH
Aspect Ratio: TBC